Pages

Thursday, October 19, 2023

SomethingTober #19 - Yoshi

 

After a long work shift, I came home feeling like crap, so I'm doing another quick one today. This is Yoshi, from the Power Universe, and a member of that setting's Japanese superhero team. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the team was called, though I can recall a couple of the other members. I think they might have been called J-6? I created the team when I had had extremely little exposure to anime, and had no idea Power Rangers was from Japan, so I did not take any inspiration from either sentai, henshin, or shonen aesthetics or tropes.

Yoshi was a Living Cartoon, and as such was a self-sustaining lifeform (no need for food, water, or air, very little need for rest). He has a Living Scribble aesthetic, hence he is supposed to be drawn in a messy style. He had limited shape-altering properties, mostly some elasticity, as well as the ability to flatten himself into a nearly 2-Dimensional shape to slip through seams in barriers or form blades. He could regenerate quickly if "torn", but I vaguely recall he might have been weak to fire and water.

Despite being a Living Cartoon, he was not from the Krazy Komix Universe, although that would have made sense. I think, like his teammates, he was imbued with his powers through mad science experiments. He was a normal Power Universe civilian transformed into his current state. If I were to retroactively fill in the gaps, he might have been genetically spliced with a Krazy Komix Toon entity, and it sort of halfway worked, hence why his form is a messy scribble, and his elasticity is more limited, but more directly controllable.

No comments:

Post a Comment