Pages

Saturday, October 28, 2023

SomethingTober #28 - Born To Dream, Chosen To Fight

 

I was just gunna do a sleeping fox, then it became a three-tailed sleeping fox, and then suddenly there were critters pestering him to go save the forest from a monster, and goddamn, can't a guy just sleep in for once?

Not much to say about the subject matter in specific, but generally I suppose I tend to compensate for my lack of technical skill by just trying to make the imagery "interesting" in some way. Either I'll add wackier elements to what could otherwise have been a mundane scene, or I try to do something that implies some kind of story. In this case it's both, I guess. The fox is hitting the snooze button on the call to adventure. I mean, I would too if I had to fight a giant six-eyed whatever-the-fuck-that-thing-is in the background. Unless that's not even what they're bugging him about, and the monster on the horizon is just a local spirit-god going for a nightly stroll, like you do. Maybe these animals are just bored and trying to rope the fox into a LARP. Where'd they even get that tiny cape and crown in the forest anyway, huh?

Compromising on vision is also something I do a lot. Originally, I was going to try and make it seem like the moon was being possessed and was heading hungrily towards Earth, and the fox is being all, "Oh, the world's ending in ten minutes? Well, gimme five more to sleep, and I'll do something about it." But I couldn't get the Moon to look good while still making it clear it was the Moon. Not at the skill level yet to properly translate my visions to the page/screen, and I don't have all day to work on it. This'll do, though, I think the giant creature design is also cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment